Poinsettias: The Popular Classic Plants Are so Poisonous

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Poinsettias are welcome guests in winter. But are they really that poisonous? We reveal what you need to look out for when it comes to plants.

You should definitely pay attention to this with poinsettias

Even if the cultivated poinsettias are not highly toxic, there are still a few things to consider. Normally, contact with the milky sap of the plant is harmless, but allergy sufferers who are sensitive to latex should still be particularly careful. It is best to handle the poinsettia with gloves if you want to repot it. This way you avoid direct skin contact.

Children and small animals should also stay away from the beautiful plant with the star-shaped leaves. Because they are still very sensitive to the plant toxin. If children or animals eat the plant, they may experience abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, sleepiness and drowsiness. The affected children or animals should then drink plenty of water and you should take them to a doctor immediately. However, you can also talk to your child in advance and explain the toxicity of the beautiful plant.

Our tip: The poinsettia is an absolute Christmas classic and creates a wintry atmosphere. If you pay attention to a few things, it is not a problem to have the plant in the house. Put them in a place where children and pets have difficulty getting to, so you can continue to enjoy your poinsettia in your own four walls without hesitation.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x